I'll be attending the ALSC Preconference "Drawn to Delight: How Picture Books Work (and Play) Today" this June at the Corcoran. I'm not a children's librarian, but I do work with children and art in museums using the Visual Thinking Strategies that inform Megan Lambert's Whole Book Approach to picture books. If you're wondering what VTS and WBA are all about, I highly recommend (another acronym) SLJ's two-part series on "Art in Theory and Practice" by Wendy Lukehart (1/1 and 2/1/2010). For more information about the preconference, see below:
"Drawn to Delight: How Picture Books Work (and Play) Today"
Friday, June 25 from 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Washington, D.C.
Learn to better utilize picture books in your library's programming by seeing these books through the eyes of the people who create them! Art directors, museum educators, and award-winning illustrators will take you through the creative and collaborative journey of picture book development during this inspirational Preconference at the Corcoran Galley of Art in Washington, D.C. Studio demonstrations, hands-on opportunities and original art door prizes are just a few of the elements that await participants.
Why the ALSC Preconference?
- Provides you with a one of a kind look into the world of picture books--you won't find a more in-depth, day-long workshop on the subject anywhere else!
- Learn from more than 15 top authors and illustrators including three Caldecott medal winners, two Caldecott honor winners and one Belpré medal winner.
- Transfer the knowledge gained back to your library to provide better experiences for young patrons and families reading picture books.
- Hands-on opportunities during artist-lead small group studio sessions taking place throughout the gallery.
- Unbeatable ALSC member rate of $195 for the entire day; this includes: preconference registration, continental breakfast, lunch, evening reception, admission to the Corcoran Gallery of Art, and a chance to win original art work by the illustrators.
- If you're not attending the ALA Annual Conference that's not a problem! You do NOT need to register for conference to attend the preconference.
Tickets: Advance: ALA Member $249; ALSC Member $195; Retired Member $180; Student Member $180; Non-Member $280. Onsite cost is $325 for all.
Event Code: ALS1
[Me again.] I hope to see you there! Along with Jerry Pinkney, Brian Selznick, David Small, Laura Vaccaro Seeger, Kadir Nelson, Yuyi Morales, and Timothy Basil Ering. But if you can't make it, not to worry: I'll write about it here, too.